Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Macaroni and Cheese

So this is my mom's macaroni. I love it. It is not overly creamy and has a golden top to it. I will give you her recipe and then my modifications. It is best served with ham...

Macaroni and Cheese the Original

1 package macaroni
1/4 c butter
1/4 c flour
1 c milk
1 c half and half
1 teas salt
1/4 teas seasoning salt
1/8 teas pepper
8 ounces cheddar cheese (two to three cups)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cook macaroni as per the instructions on the package.
Melt butter gently in a sauce pan on low heat and add flour, salt and pepper. Stir until the mixture is smooth. Then slowly add milk and then half and half all the while stirring the mixture. Heat until milk begins to slightly foam. Do not bring to a boil. On low heat or with no heat, stir in shredded cheese until it is melted. Add noodles and bake in a small casserole dish until golden brown on top (30 to 40 minutes).

The recipe I made for 10 people...

Macoroni and Cheese the Collective

2 packages macaroni
1/2 c butter (1 stick)
1/2 c flour
4 c whole milk
2 teas salt
1/4 teas pepper
12 ounces cheddar cheese (three to four cups)
4 ounces smoked cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cook macaroni as per the instructions on the package.
Melt butter gently in a sauce pan on low heat and add flour, salt and pepper. Stir until the mixture is smooth. Then slowly add milk all the while stirring the mixture. Heat until milk begins to slightly foam. Do not bring to a boil. On low heat or with no heat, stir in shredded cheese until it is melted. Add noodles and bake in a small casserole dish until golden brown on top (30 to 40 minutes).

Notes: I forgot to add the salt which it definitely needs. Also, I made mine with three cups of whole milk because I was nervous about adding so much liquid. Next time I will stick with all four cups.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my site, it is about the CresceNet, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://www.provedorcrescenet.com . A hug.

Sydney said...

Is that weird spam?

Sydney said...

This recipe looks awesome! Tonight Pete and I made Tuna Noodle Casserole (we're currently very poor...) and I found an old chunk of gruyere in the fridge, but no cheddar. We shredded the gruyere and layered it on top of the casserole but under the bread crumbs before baking and it added so much depth to such a ridiculously simple/ghetto dish! Also, the low-salt/healthy choice cream of mushroom soup helped make it not so glutenous and heavy in the tummy. :)

i_tried said...

I love tuna noodle casserole! I will have to make it soon. I always forget about it. I also have a fondness for tater tot casserole but I may be the only one who does outside of Minnesota.

Sydney said...

Holy carp-what is tatertot casserole? I've never heard of it! My family's been in Oregon too long. Our weird family recipe that no one's made since my great grandma died is salmon loaf. From tinned salmon. ::shudder::