Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Gingerbread Cookies

I haven't made this yet, but my mom gave it to me and said they were amazing. Will make this weekend. Just didn't want to lose the recipe.

Gingerbread Cookies


3 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbls cocoa powder
2 tsp ground ginger
3 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp ground cloves
1 cup butter softened
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup molasses

1. Sift flour, baking soda, salt, cocoa powder, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves.
2. Beat butter, sugar, egg, and molasses until fluffy. Stir in other dry ingredients.
3. Refrigerate for several hours or over night.
4. Roll out dough until slightly more than 1/4 inch thick.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 7-8 minutes.

Sugar Icing
1 package confectioners sugar, 1 lb.
1/3 cup water
1 tsp vanilla

Beat until smooth. If not enough water, slowly add more teaspoon by teaspoon.

Tips: oven temperature is really important when baking cookies. If you don't have a fancy oven (i.e. owning your first home or renting), an oven thermometer is worth it to make sure your oven is just right.

2 comments:

i_tried said...

I messed up this recipe the first time I made it. I added three times the amount of molasses because I thought I misheard my mom when none of the dough was sticking together. Sometimes I hear one and a half as one half. So I added a cup and a half of molasses not one half cup. Then I realized that I had accidentally thought that 1 cup butter was two sticks of butter when in actuality it is four sticks of butter. So I double the recipe with 1 1/2 cups butter total and 1 1/2 molasses total. I had to cook the cookies for 10 minutes. Maybe if there was more butter less molasses I would have cooked them for eight minutes.
They are really good. I probably won't make them again anytime soon. I have a million.
I froze them and plan on heating them in the oven and then frosting them.
If you live near me and want to cookies, let me know.

Unknown said...

I made my first batch of gingerbread cookies the day before yesterday from your recipe here. They turned out very well. Thanks for posting it! I baked them at Eric's behest, since my memories from childhood made me picture a crumbly, bitter cookie. It was with delight that I bit into one so moist and delicious. I think they were more popular than Eric's chocolate chip cookies, which is saying something.