Saturday, October 13, 2007

Fried Eggs

I recently read a Cook's Illustrated article about fried eggs. It said you were supposed to heat the skillet on low for five minutes. Add butter. Wait a minute. If butter is browned, then skillet is too hot. Add egg. Flip when appropriate. I tried it sort of but it didn't really work.

I feel like my fried eggs have been getting more disastrous. I am on a 75 percent success to 25 percent failure rate. Usually, I heat the skillet on medium heat. Add butter and then the egg. The lower the heat I cook it at the more likely it is the yolk breaks when I flip it. If it is too hot, the egg gets that weird brown crust. I have to think about how to fix this problem...

5 comments:

hr said...

pan needs to be hot!!! for egg cooking. good luck finding the hot-spot before the browning-spot. sometimes when flipping i like to employ two spatulas to get maximum yolk support, thefore preventing breakage.

Joe Streckert said...

I think there might be a technical culinary name for this, but I don't know what it is.

I discovered a while back that if you cover the pan whilst frying the egg, you can get the top nicely cooked by the trapped heat, and that way you don't have to flip the egg. I like my yolks runny, so this preserves the structural integrity of the yolk as well.

It comes off as a sort of mix between a fried and soft-boiled egg, with delicious results.

i_tried said...

Joe = genius. But I am sure you already knew that in your slightly apologetic, self-concious way. ;) How hot is the pan with which you fry your eggs?

Joe Streckert said...

Aw, thanks ;)

I usually cook eggs on medium. You're totally right, though, that if the butter is brown, it's too hot. I sometimes find, though, that if the burner's been on for a while, it can be too hot even on medium, and you should turn it to low. But, you shouldn't start on low. I think the secret to cooking fried eggs well is getting the whites cooked thoroughly but keeping the yolk liquidy. On low heat, the egg can be on for so long the yolk gets overcooked.

I think it's totally about that finding that exactly medium sweet-spot where the butter isn't quite brown yet. I think a lot of that is just knowing your burners, which I've found all have different quirks.

Anonymous said...

I love me the brown egg crust. But not a drip of runny. How about poached? That's my next egg adventure, but you should figure it out first, then lemme know how it goes. Thanks.