Sunday, August 12, 2007

Camping: The Basics

I tried to go camping. Rule number one: Just because your dad climbed mountains a couple of decades ago doesn't mean you shouldn't help with the preparation. Rule number two: don't let your brother pack for you. Rule number three: bring sleeping bag on every camping trip.

So we tried. We really did. The roads were against us. The weather was against us. We camped one night, my dad and I, in a very small tent. Good times. Then we got a 100 dollar hotel room with the soft beds and fake rustic wood frames. Then we drove to Idaho to spend time in a nice warm house on a lake with the rest of the family.

Things I got from the trip: nostalgia, nostalgia, nostalgia and lots of time with my dad. Things my dad got from the trip: some kind of viral rash all over his neck. Things we both got from the trip: we need a list for next year. And here it is...

1. Tent
2. Sleeping bags
3. Tarp
4. MSR Stove Kit with fuel
5. Towel
6. Metal silverware
7. Leatherman or cheap rip off
8. Soap (dish washing/armpit washing)
9. Apples for lunch
10. Waterproof matches
11. First Aid Kit
12. Target Fruit Chocolate Trail Mix
13. Camelbacks
14. Bug spray
15. Sunscreen
16. Lightweight hat
17. Wind Shirt
18. Three pairs socks
19. Plan meals
20. Sunglasses
21. Camera
22. Eggs
23. Dry Hummus
24. Tortillas
25. Oil
26. Cards/Backgammon
27. Scrubber for pots
28. Dish for person not using MSR
29. Coffee Mug
30. Powdered Gatoraide or Tang
31. Beano but probably better Gas X
32. Plastic Panchos
33. Tent cord for hanging food/tying down fly
34. Blister Kit
35. Ibuprofen
36. Toothpaste/toothbrush
37. Deodorant

The end.

6 comments:

Joe Streckert said...

I_Tried? Bleak name, don't you think?
What about "GlitteryPrincessSparklePony," or "HappyHappyPerson," or "QueenofallProzac?" Those are happy names, names that let the world know how very, very shiny you are.
Anyway, you've now been linked to. By me. Woo!
Can't wait for more survival tips.

martha grover said...

You roped me into creating one as well- aha- more ways to waste my time on the interweb. Yes... camping. I had a similar experience last weekend. We were going to rough it but ended up in a hotel room- oh well. I like hotels.

Sydney said...

Pete and I have a bunch of camping gear, but we've only been camping once. In March. On the Oregon Coast. We were very prepared, but I think we both have an image of camping as inherently damp and cold, which I'm sure it's not in the summer. Still, I think we'd both feel better if we had fingerless gloves to take with us next time.

Eric said...

Welcome to the unwashed masses.

Steph and I used to go camping several times a year back in Oregon. Now with real jobs and no car, not so much. But I think we'll get back into it in another couple years once this PhD crap is over with. Yes, it's important to have a good list of camping gear. We had one, and some boxes that kept it all in one place. But then again, countryside B&Bs are also very nice.

francisco said...

flashlight(s). I always forget these. very important

Anonymous said...

You forgot:

38. A retinue of servants to carry your sedan.