Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Fresh Herbs and Red Sauce

I hate a love/hate relationship with fresh herbs. I love to eat them and I hate to buy them. For example, when buying dill, I feel like it either comes in a lettuce sized bunch or one so small, you have to buy two. Perhaps there is a recipe out that that calls for four cups of dill, but I haven't found it.

Part of economizing seems to be using everything in your fridge. D's mom is so good at this. Her fridge is always spotless with exactly what she needs over the next several days. I find this mystifying. After making the shrimp with herb sauce, I was left with a lot of herbs, and I successfully have used two of the three and am on my way to using all of the sage. A small victory.

This recipe has become a favorite. It is one of the ways I used the leftover basil. I post it here to share and because I know I will someday loose this beloved edition of Cooks Illustrated.


Note: C.I. recommends using Tuttorosso or Muir Glen. I have only used Muir Glen. Deviated once and regretted it.

2 tbls unsalted butter
1/4 c grated onion, from 1 med. onion
1/4 tsp dried oregano
Table salt
2 med. garlic cloves, minced
1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes (see note)
1/4 teas sugar
2 tbls coarsely chopped fresh basil leaves
1 tbls x-virgin olive oil
Ground black pepper

Heat butter in medium saucepan over medium heat until melted. Add onion, oregano, and 1/2 teaspoon salt; cook stirring occasionally, until liquid has evaporated and onion is golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in tomatoes and sugar; increase heat to high and bring to simmer. Lower heat to medium low and simmer until thickened slightly, about 10 minutes. Off heat, stir in basil and oil; season with salt and pepper. Serve (or freeze).

Things I change: I use 1 tbls butter. That said, this recipe has really given me an appreciation for canned tomatoes. I also love it, because I am not a fan of tomato paste. So simple and genuinely quick.