Sunday, September 28, 2008

Bike Rack


D made me a bike rack for my I came out of the womb day. All it took was five 2 x 4's, four hooks, two sawhorse brackets, and one 2 x 10. Oh yeah, some nails as well. He forgot the fifth 2 x 4 to run length wise neat the bottom to act as a brace/wall protector so eventually we will have to take a trip back to a store whose contents and layout mystify me. My brain just cannot wrap itself around Home Depot.

Here are the measurements or ingredients:
Four 2 x 4's cut 83" long
Two 2 x 4's cut 80' long or however long you want the bike rack to be
2 horsesaw brackets
1 1/2 inch nails
2 1/2 inch nails
4 hooks or enough to space them about 18 inches to 22 inches apart.
2 2 x 10s 48 inches long

Directions: Make it look like the above picture...but with one more 2 x 4 nailed across from one end to the other at tire height to prevent the tires from hitting the back wall. Also, you can add smaller hooks to the side beams so you can hang bike locks, tools, tool basket, helmets, etc.

Length of wood may need to be adjusted depending on the angle of the sawhorse brackets. I found this website useful.

2 comments:

Dan said...

The gigantic sawhorse is an excellent bike rack design but I cannot take credit for it. My friend John told me about it and he built one in my old house, the LSC. I can't remember what that one used for lateral support, but my Dad pointed out that a 2 X 4 across the bottom won't do. So I think I'm going to use part of a sheet of plywood--maybe 2 feet wide. That should suffice.

martha grover said...

Well done my dear. Hope you're well! Happy b-day...