Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Worms, Part I

After discovering that the local municipality was out of compost bins, I decided to use worms to compost my garbage after getting this advice from J:

The advantage is that you can keep them inside (you would have to b/c they would die in the winter), they are relatively hassle free, they can compost anything (I had one friend that would feed them meat scraps) and you can make the best compost in the world with them. Plus they are fun pets!

The fun pets really got me, and although I probably won't feed them meat, I am excited to feed them other cooked food. After looking into various options, I chose to use this set-up. I bought two grey plastic bins. V is letting me stop by his work to use the power drill.

I ordered, and D wrote the check for, a pound of worms from Down to Earth Worm Farm. The woman who helped me on the phone was very friendly and excited I was not from the area. They are supposed to arrive next week.

I really wanted these lily-scented worms, but they are hard to come by and I suspect mythical.

I have started collecting garbage and newspaper for the worms. D ordered a book so we don’t kill them, at least initially. I set up a plan to get kitchen scraps from E and S every three to four days since I am not sure I will generate enough food scraps to sustain them.

IC expressed concern that I may hear them slithering around, but hopefully they will be quiet and realitively scentless like all the blog postings say. To be continued…

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

> you would have to b/c they would die in the winter

Now I'm all concerned for all those wild worms over winter. How do they survive? Maybe the all curl together in a giant worm ball.. I think I have the idea for my first children's book

Joe Streckert said...

In one of my company's textbooks there's an example conversation with a bunch of employees who are trying to make their office greener. One of the suggestions they make is starting a worm farm.

Student reaction is usually something like "What's that?" and then turns into "People actually do that? Really?" Fun times, man.

Anonymous said...

We've got some leftovers waiting, if your worms are ready. I can't wait to see the setup firsthand!