Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Yogurt

I have been on a yogurt making kick. L orders from a local dairy and I have started making a weekly batch of yogurt to go along with my granola (recipe coming eventually). Yogurt is suprisingly easy. This recipe comes from Nourishing Traditions. I like a couple of the recipes in the cookbook but her research methodology is a little shady and a lot of the ingredients are bizarre. I think there are better cookbooks out there, but the yogurt is good...

Yogurt

1/2 cup good yogurt with live cultures
1 quart milk

Gently heat the milk to 180 degrees (I found that going just below this at 175 degrees or so). Let it cool to 11o degrees. Stir in yogurt and place in shallow glass or stainless steal container. Cover and place in a warm oven with the pilot light on or pre-heated to warm. If you live somewhere, where it does not get cold at night (DC in the summer for example), I would just leave it out at night. In the morning, transfer to the refridgerator. If there is extra whey, just spoon it out.

Problems you might encounter are explained here. My yogurt curdled slightly last time and was still good. I think it was because I heated it a bit too high, the milk was not as fresh as usual, and it was over 100 degrees in the kitchen for an extended period.

No comments: