Friday, March 14, 2008

Bagels and more

So I have been busy lately. Mostly trying to perfect recipes, finish school, juggle two jobs, and find a job.
In my spare time (Thursday from 11:30 to 2:00 and sometimes Friday afternoon), I have been cooking out of Laurel's Kitchen. I am working on the bagel, bread and granola recipes. So I was wondering...what makes a bagel good?
Suggestions so far have been chewy, crisp on the outside, and no hole in the middle.
Will keep you updated on how it is going and any thoughts on the perfect bagel are always appreciated.

4 comments:

Seph said...

It may be good with no hole in the middle, but I don't see how on Earth it can be a bagel...

Other than that, put onions in it. Mmmmm. Onion bagel.

Rip Tatermen said...

My mom used to buy bagels at this bakery in Sandy(?) when she worked out that way, and they put five or six whole blueberries (I think) in each bagel, sort of in a line. They didn't go all the way around, there must've been some logistical issue, so it was half delicious berry and half regular bagel. They were kinda damp around the berries, probably because they were frozen. Incidentally, I'm hoping 'damp around the berries' catches on as a phrase.

Joe Streckert said...

Garlic makes for some tasty bagels, but I acknowledge that I have a rather unique love for the stuff. I'd also suggest cheese and jalepenos, and second the onions. Then cover them in lox. I'm of the "zesty" school myself, preferring spicy/salty stuff.

Also, unholy bagels are a blasphemy in the face of god and man.

i_tried said...

Thanks y'all! I am still trying to figure out my bagel recipe. They are chewy but it might be awhile until the recipe is post-able.