Friday, September 21, 2007

Weird and crazy uses of blue cheese

Did I ever mention I love blue cheese? I do. I really really do. I found Rogue Creamery blue cheese at the local Whole Foods. Was very excited. Then I read the label and realized it was the smoked kind. I don't understand why they smoke the blue cheese. It just tastes like smoked cheese and you miss all of the subtle undertones of mold. So here in the heart of hell (as my Guate friend recently labeled DC and maybe a tad dramatic), I stick to my Maytag blue cheese or sometimes get a little more adventurous. Here is a recent invention:

Raspberry Blue Cheese Tortillas

1 yellow corn tortilla
Some crumbled blue cheese
Good raspberry jam


Run tortilla under water and shake off excess. This helps to soften the tortilla and make it seem fresher. Put blue cheese on the tortilla. Place tortilla in toaster oven and melt the blue cheese. Take it out and let cool a tad. Smear with jam. Eat.

Variations: Put rasberry jam and blue cheese on toast or bavarian bread.

If you know where to get Bavarian bread in the heart of hell, let me know

4 comments:

Joe Streckert said...

Blue cheese and jam? What crazy blasphemy is this? I feel compelled to try this insanity...

Sydney said...

Hm, so you're saying if you smoke blue cheese it gets rid of all the nasty moldy flavor? Good to know! I have to state, for the record, that I think blue cheese is foul. It's riddled with mold, people! Mold! A traditional harbinger of spoiling! And it smells of mold. At least brie has the courtesy to not smell of its disgusting shell, so that I can go on pretending it's some kind of magical, edible wax.

Anonymous said...

I guees you missed the Rogue Creamery Oregonzola, Oregon Blue, Echo Mountain Blue, Crater Lake Blue or the famous Rogue River Blue? Check any of the recent blue cheese awards and you will see the Rogue Creamery label and I do not think you will see your "fav". Needless to say the Crater Lake Blue won the US title for Best in Class, a silver medal at the world competion and a blue ribbon at the American Cheese Society all this year! Give those a try as the smokey is for smokey lovers. The French liked it too last year with a award for best new inovative product. As you can see I love my Rogue Creamery blues, but try any blue with a flavored balsamic or even honey..mmm mmm!
-chzluvr

martha grover said...

Blue cheese and rasberry jam= yummy. I personally like aged cheddar and marmalade on a grilled ham sandwich.
The other day some guy came in to the store looking for blue cheese with the "green mold"- supposedly that tastes different from the straight up blue mold. Whatever. He spent fifteen minutes sifting through the blue cheeses looking for green mold. Dumbass.