Saturday, December 13, 2008

Marshmallows!

Marshmallows are my favorite candy. I loooove them. My favorite are Kraft Jet Puffed. The texture, the vanilla, the memories of childhood. So imagine my surprise when I made them and they were even better. The recipe is copied exactly from the Barefoot Contessa website. Here is the recipe...

Homemade Marshmallows:

  • 3 packages unflavored gelatin
  • 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
  • 1 cup light corn syrup
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
  • Confectioners' sugar, for dusting

Combine the gelatin and 1/2 cup of cold water in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment and allow to sit while you make the syrup.

Meanwhile, combine the sugar, corn syrup, salt, and 1/2 cup water in a small saucepan and cook over medium heat until the sugar dissolves. Raise the heat to high and cook until the syrup reaches 240 degrees F on a candy thermometer. Remove from the heat.

With the mixer on low speed, slowly pour the sugar syrup into the dissolved gelatin. Put the mixer on high speed and whip until the mixture is very thick, about 15 minutes. Add the vanilla and mix thoroughly.

Using an 8 by 12-inch nonmetal pan, cover the bottom with confectioner's sugar using a swifter. Pour in the marshmallow batter and smooth the top of the mixture with damp hands if needed. Allow to dry uncovered at room temperature overnight.

Remove the marshmallows from the pan and cut into squares. Roll the sides of each piece carefully in confectioners' sugar. Store uncovered at room temperature (I would recommend storing them covered).

Thoughts: I have never tried it with the coconut but that is what the original recipe calls for. I am sure it is delicious.
When heating the sugar, it rapidly heats to 225 degrees or so. Then it will gradually creep up to 240. A thermometer is a must. I use a digital thermometer that is great for cooking meat, making yogurt, etc.
I also dust the bottom of the pan with powdered sugar before putting the marshmallows in the pan and then the top once they have sat out over night. After I cut them out, I like to dust the sides as well. Excess powdered sugar can be brushed off.
A friend recommended that you should run the knife under hot water before cutting them.
I have used Knox gelatin and it works well although my friend's mom said that the high grade gelatin has a better initial smell and is worth spending the extra money.
The vanilla you use will greatly impact the taste. I made the first batch with some vanilla extract that my mom bought very cheaply at Safeway and added over a tablespoon plus one teaspoon vanilla. It was just the right amount. The next time I used some fancy, higher-end vanilla and put in the same amount. It was overpowering. Next time, I would probably put a tablespoon or a little less of the higher-end. If you use fancy vanilla put a little less than a tablespoon, and if it is lower end, add a little more.

No comments: